Friday, August 06, 2004

It's the Death that's Worse than Fate

Definitely had a tornado here yesterday. There were several sightings, but it was just one cloud. Came down in Newville, went back up and came down in Lemoyne (two miles from where I work) skipped across the river and into Harrisburg. At least 250 trees down in Harrisburg. On to Hummelstown, back up into the sky, then back down in Elizabethtown and on to Manheim in Lancaster County. One more of these and they're gonna start calling us Tornado Alley.

What saved the city is that the twister came through at treetop level. So it knocked the trees down into houses. Thus sparing the houses themselves. Apparently, we average about 5 tornados a year.

A new craft is entered for the X Prize. That's the one where a private concern launches 3 people into space and does it again in 14 days. It's called the Wildfire. We'll see what happens.

I talked about the Walter Cronkite report on the Gulf of Tonkin a few days ago. It's going to be on "Morning Edition" tomorrow on NPR. It's definitely worth a listen. Very compelling and very contemporary.

It sounds like the Army is going to start buying their recruits. You can get a $10,000 signing bonus, $15,000 if you sign up for a specialty.

There was a comment on NPR that really got my hackles up. (Whatever hackles are?) They had a quote by a guy named Wendell Berry about computer's. This is it...

"...when somebody has used a computer to write work that is demonstrably better than Dante's, and when this better is demonstrably attributable to the use of a computer, then I will speak of computers with a more respectful tone of voice, though I still will not buy one."

WHAT......AN......ASS!!!

Oh, I see Mr. Berry. I guess your a charcoal and cavewall man. Although you look more like a stick in the dirt guy. Oh wait, I'm being facetious, of course you must use a pen. So, what type of quill do you prefer. What's that? A little more modern? It must be a calligraphic style pen, with the reservoir? No? A ballpoint? What a forward thinking modernist you are!

It's like saying a painters work is less inspired because he chooses to use acrylics instead of oils. Luddite's shouldn't be allowed any sharp objects, let alone a pen. Someone will write a work "demostrably" better than Dante's someday. They will probably use a computer. Get over it.

Now...onto my day.

I did 20 minutes walking today, up to 25 on saturday. Went in and picked up a prescription and headed into work.

Work was painless once again (I could get used to this, but I know it won't last). Headed home and got gas and some food at Sheetz. I've been getting wraps and I found out tonite that they have their nutrition info on their website. So I was able to dial in other ingredients that will be even better.

I pulled into the house and Chrissy was right in front of me. I don't know where she was because she hasn't talked to me since Tuesday. I would just like to know why a woman can torpedo you and you're just supposed to let it go. But if you do it back, you deserve the silent treatment.

I heard the new Velvet Revolver song on the radio today. They are really good and you should check them out. It's members of Guns & Roses and Stone Temple Pilots. So my question is, shouldn't they be called Guns & Pilots? :)

I felt pretty good today. I think there might be something to this exercise reducing stress thing. If I can just get my feet to stop hurting from last Friday, I'd be in pretty good shape.

Music at work....Elvis Costello and the Attractions, "Armed Forces" / Josie and the Pussycats Soundtrack / Nina Gordon, "Tonight and the Rest of My Life"

Photobloggin' (gonna try to get the Ben Affleck pic up tonight)

later

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I would just like to know why a woman can torpedo you and you're just supposed to let it go. But if you do it back, you deserve the silent treatment."

...it helps when YOUR 'torpedo' isn't "You don't need to talk to me, Chris".


-Chrissy

Mr. Fitz said...

The point is taken, the beast is molting, but where is the ambiguity? Over there.....in a box.