Saturday, July 24, 2004

Doors of Perception

Photoblog

Another rehab day.  Up to Lewistown a little late again, and of course, the construction decides to slow me up.  I do the exercise thing and come back home.

I get my act together here and get ready to go to Harrisburg.  I did get a cool little program for the wife's XP machine (which she doesn't like, because "stuff is always changed on my machine, leave it alone").  It's called Kapsules and it puts widgets on your desktop.  Widgets are little applets that Mac users are familiar with.  They're free and there is a development community making all sorts of stuff.  There is a weather widget, a calendar, a photo album.  If you have XP or 2000, check it out.

The "Wellness Co-ordinator" from Blue Cross called and wanted to know how I was doing.  I filled her on what a wonderful guy I am and she's doing her cheerleading thing.  "You're doing so goood....isn't he a good boy.....yes he is......yes he is.....mmmmm".  My tail was wagging furiously.

I head to the Burg and hit some rain on the way down.  They had a lot of flooding, roadsides washed out, etc.  I head to pick up some printers and find out that my local supplier raised the price.  So Maureen's gonna get hers from where she works.  It sort of cheeses me off because I think I could have sold 3 at the old price.  The client may still buy them, but I was almost positive they would get them at the old price.  I head over to Target and pick up a grill brush and a little key chain light.  I love Target.  The thing I had to walk by was a Lava Lamp on steroids.  Very cool

Then to Circuit City.  I got a mini USB port multiplier for my self, but the buy of the day was a Dazzle multi-card reader.  Some are 4 in one, a few are 8 in one, this one was.....wait for it......10 in one.....TEN IN ONE.  AND...a 20 dollar rebate.  I also got a cheapo webcam to hook up to my laptop.

Maureen showed up late.  With all the flooding and rerouting and everything however, it's no wonder.  She decides to finance through them and gets a massive line of credit.  I wanted her to get me a couple of Laptops, the salesman had his eye on a plasma screen tv.  No dice in either direction.  :)  We pick out her new machine and head out to the vehicles.  As we walk down the parking lot, her son pulls up beside us.  Kinda spooky, huh?  She talked to him and his wife and the two (adorable) little ones.  We hang out and shoot the shit in the parking lot and then head for home.

I call home and see what Deb wants to do for dinner.  She said to call her back at Newport and she'd order some Chinese.  Not to get into the specifics, but there was something I wanted to tell Maureen.  I was pretty sure she was behind me, so I pulled off just before Newport and figured I'd wait 5 minutes.  If she didn't come by, I'd head on home.  I hop out and then figure I'll get my cell and THE DAMN DOOR IS LOCKED.  Of course, I said a few kind words and, thank god, Maureen pulled in.  She went up and stopped at the State Police barracks for me.  It took them almost 45 minutes to get there.  Actually, the Newport cop was the one that opened it up for me.  So now I have a nice scratch on my door.  It was kinda funny.  He's got that long wire in and I'm thinking "How in the hell is he gonna get to the door lock like that?"  He keeps going lower and I say, "Those are the window switches.."  And the window opens on my side.  Hell, I thought, that'll work too.  :)

But what I failed to mention above is that THE ENGINE WAS RUNNING.  Ya see, If the engine was off and the key was in the ignition, the door will not lock.  However, if the car is running....  Well, we learn something everyday, don't we.  :)

Headed toward home and called the wife, who wanted to know where the hell I was.  I told her I saw her call every time.  Geez, even the cops called to say they were coming, I saw the phone ringing that time too.

Got the food, went home, ate and broke out Maureen's new machine.  It's a Toshiba Satellite A65-S1064.  Very nice.  Very peppy.  Lots of bloatware, I got rid of most of that.  First thing off was the damn Norton.  It's a real shame about Norton, they used to be the best and now they pretty much suck.  Besides, AVG is much better, and FREE.

The only complaint about her machine so far is that the built in speakers SUCK.  I mean, hardly any volume at all.  I'm gonna look for an updated driver tomorrow, but I don't hold out much hope.  If it was mine it would go back.  But she will only need them for system alerts.  Not a big deal for her.

I put on AdAware, ZoneAlarm, MyIE2 and set up a Yahoo account for her too.  I had to switch back to old faithful here for this entry though.  Just a little more comfortable.

Something I forgot.  I was watching one of my Tivo'ed "Screen Savers" shows and they had this guy on showing how you can do all this hacking stuff on Google.  Very interesting indeed.

Gonna hit it soon.  Have fun people...and remember...Lock your car...Take your keys.  Now lets be careful out there.  :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fitz, if you want to turn off the vehicle's auto-lock function, ya may wanna check in the vehicle's owner's manual to see if it shows you how. If you want help with that, let me know. If we can't find it, then maybe the dealer will know. If you don't care to turn it off, then just ignore this post. :-P
Not sure when I'll see you again, so if you don't mind, ask Chrissy to let me know if you want to mess with it or not.

Mike

Mr. Fitz said...

I know that I have a 15mph lock on it, which I like. What I wish is that it wouldn't do it when the car isn't moving. Thanks for the offer, but I'll never leave it running again. It was just a freak accident.