Monday, September 06, 2004

Two Days in One

Ok....another twofer.

I got up yesterday and went over to the inlaws. I had to do my walk before we ate. It was cool to have some different visual input. I had a few hills to go up, which worked out ok. I want to do a week of 1 hour walks before I start doing hills. Of course, if they don't approve it, I won't be doing it.

I got back to Bill and Betty's house and a bunch of the family was there. I was a little surprised because I thought it was just gonna be us. We had a nice picnic meal and gave Chrissy and Betty some gifts. It's kinda convenient. Chrissy's birthday was Friday, Betty's birthday is Tuesday and Deb's is Thursday.

I headed to work. I got an idea on the way down. I told you a while back that one day my back was so bad I couldn't get out of bed. I was trying to think of a way to give me some relief and I got an idea. We have things called Vertalifts. They are a hand pushed forklift that will lift one of our smaller containers. It raises the container on an arc up to 90 degrees. I got dirty looks from some of the evil ones as well as a few of the mailhandlers, but I went ahead and did it anyway.

Bonnie and Kathy (another one of the good ones) were in my rotation. They both loved it. It involves an extra step, but it doesn't seem to take more time. Both of the girls are short and have to lift high to get the sack into the aircraft container. This way, it goes into the lower container, then on the Vertalift, then you can stand upright and transfer the sack.

I couldn't have done this with the regular supervisor there, but there is a fill in guy who was working who is easy to get along with. He came up later and said I should put in a suggestion request to get permission to use it. I told Bonnie about the plan earlier in the night and said "It's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission", that's why I went ahead and did it.

We went on break and came back and, guess what?? The lift was gone. I don't know if EGCW or LBFH were responsible, or one of the mailhandlers. I didn't push it because I proved what I needed to prove and I had support from other workers. LBFH said something to Kathy at one point while she was walking away, it ended in "It's part of the job". I yelled back "It wasn't part of the job to do this for 6 fucking hours when we started". At a lower volume I said to Kathy next to me "...You stupid bitch".

So we had lots of nice tension all night. I let it roll off me. When I know I'm right, I can deal with a lot of stuff. We're also going to write a letter to the safety office. I'm gonna get a bunch of people to sign it.

I came home. The kids we're in the den so I actually got the living room for awhile. I've been really damn tired lately, so I went to bed early.

Woke up today around 9, but I didn't get up till Deb rousted me at 10:30. We straightened up the place for awhile and then put the meat on the grill. Chrissy was watching it but I had to put some hot dogs on. When I did, I closed the lid. She had the heat up too high and some of the stuff got burned, but I thought the sausages, which were burnt the worst, tasted pretty good.

We went down and worked on the basement for awhile and Billy showed up. So we hung out and talked for awhile. He mentioned that he was gonna get a digital camera and Deb suggested that we give him my old Nikon. So I did. He didn't want to take it, but I convinced him that I got more than enough use out of it and he should try it. If it dies, it's no big loss. I also got him set up with a blog. It's here, I'll put it in my links when he's got some posts on it.

The kids went down to Harrisburg to get some baby shower gifts at Babies 'R Us. Deb and I walked and then watched some tv.

The kids came home and showed us what they got. We're watching "Real Time with Bill Maher" and I'm doing this.

Now we're all caught up.

cya

No comments: